Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Stop Breaking Your Children

Calling all 'Dads' (anyone really): Please read this powerful piece.

Mr. Pearce's insightful article resonated with me. I enjoy being a Dad, and I love my children and their spectacular mother. I've learned a great deal from being a family man and understand there is a great deal more to learn.

I recognize my shortcomings as a son, husband, father, and human and try my best to improve. I appreciate the challenges; however, I make many mistakes. Though I try not to dwell on them, articles like this serve as a poignant reminder of the times I've fallen short.

Every day presents new challenges and opportunities. Dan Pearce reminds us of the power we wield as fathers in strongly influencing the development of our children. He reminded me of how important it is to wisely and lovingly make the most of those challenges and opportunities for the benefit of our youth.


Being considerate of the ones you must care for is crucial. Every word and every action makes an impact. This is a wonderful piece. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Dads. Stop breaking your children. Please.

I feel a need to write this post after what I witnessed at Costco yesterday. Forgive me for another post written in desperation and anger. Please read all the way to the end. I know it’s long, but this is something that needs to be said. It’s something that needs to be heard. It’s something that needs to be shared.

As Noah and I stood in line to make a return, I watched as a little boy (he couldn’t have been older than six) looked up at his dad and asked very timidly if they could buy some ice cream when they were done. The father glared him down, and through clenched teeth, growled at the boy to “leave him alone and be quiet”. The boy quickly cowered to the wall where he stood motionless and hurt for some time.

The line slowly progressed and the child eventually shuffled back to his father as he quietly hummed a childish tune, seemingly having forgotten the anger his father had just shown. The father again turned and scolded the boy for making too much noise. The boy again shrunk back and cowered against the wall, wilted.

Read the complete article by Dan Pearce here. You'll find information on his book, 'Real Dad Rules', here. And, you can purchase it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment